It’s time to embrace the season with this sweet cardinal perched on an evergreen bough. We think this pattern would make a sweet gift for a friend, either as an embroidery kit or all stitched up!
Skill level: Beginner. You can do it!
Pattern size: 5 1/2" x 5" (approximately 14 cm x 13 cm)
Basic embroidery stitches used: backstitch, satin stitch, French knot, single chain stitch
The 6-page PDF pattern includes:
- An image of the finished embroidered pattern
- A stitch and color guide
- Simple embroidery instructions
- An easy to trace black and white pattern
- A black and white pattern in reverse for an iron-on transfer pencil.
Transferring the embroidery pattern:
There are two copies of the pattern included in your PDF so that you can choose which transfer method works best for you. Here’s a brief description of each option:
- The black and white pattern makes it easy to transfer the image onto your fabric by tracing or printing on an embroidery stabilizer. Our favorite way to transfer this version of the pattern is to print on Sulky Stick’n Stitch. You can also trace the pattern onto your fabric with a Water-Soluble Marker or a regular pencil.
- The reverse black and white pattern works best with an iron-on transfer pencil. This is a special pencil that, when used to trace the pattern, will iron on to fabric. It’s best to use this pencil with transfer paper, or even tissue paper, but it can be used with regular paper as well. Most iron-on transfer pencil lines are permanent.
To view the file you will need to have Adobe Reader. You can download a free version of Adobe Reader here: http://get.adobe.com/reader/
- Where do I download my PDF file?
After checking out, you will receive an email that contains a link to download the pattern.
Likewise, your PDF pattern will also be added to your Digital Library. To access your Digital Library, log in to your account on the Penguin & Fish website (if you haven't created an account yet, be sure to do so with the same e-mail address you used to check out) and go to “My Digital Library."
- I’ve never embroidered before, will I be able to make this pattern?
Yes! We design our patterns with beginners in mind, using just a few basic embroidery stitches. Follow along with the included step-by-step embroidery instructions and you'll be stitching in no time! Need some extra support? Check out our "How-to" section for embroidery stitch tutorials.
- Can my younger child stitch this pattern?
We recommend 13 and up, but a crafty kid under 13 should be able to stitch this pattern with adult supervision. We’ve known kids as young as 6 to stitch our patterns.
Pattern is for personal use only, please do not distribute. COMMERCIAL USE IS PROHIBITED. All designs ©Penguin & Fish